Sunday, February 7, 2010

HBO, Electronic Arts upstage the movie studios

The best theatrical trailers shown during Super Bowl XLIV weren’t for movies.
Commercials for HBO’s World War II miniseries “The Pacific” and Electronic Arts’ video game “Dante’s Inferno” were better than the traditional movie ads.
I counted seven movie trailers during the Super Bowl telecast Sunday. Too many of them relied on computer-generated imagery rather than storytelling and human drama to sell audiences. I was unimpressed.
The CGI-heavy potential blockbusters included “The Last Airbender,” “Alice in Wonderland” and “Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.”
Other trailers such as “Robin Hood,” “The Wolfman” and “The Backup Plan” left me cold.
The trailers didn’t sell me. I’ll have to wait for the reviews to decide which to see.
The notable exception is Martin Scorcese’s “Shutter Island.” I’m hooked. It was the best trailer shown during this year's Super Bowl.

No comments: