Sunday, June 20, 2010

Netflix thinks I’m gay … still

I don’t get it. Netflix supposedly has improved its movie recommendation system to better match movies with the tastes of its subscribers. But based on the movie lists it thinks I’ll enjoy, the service must think I’m gay. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that.)
Four of the 20 movie lists it’s giving me now are gay themed. (See screenshot above.)
In November 2008, I noted that five of the 20 movie lists it selected for me were gay themed. A year later, just two of the 20 movie lists were gay themed. Now we’re up to four (or 20% of the movie lists presented).
Maybe it’s all the princess and Barbie movies I’m renting for my daughter. Or my continued choice of movie musicals and Marilyn Monroe movies for my queue. For whatever reason, Netflix continues to get me wrong.

No comments: