Saturday, April 2, 2011

It’s the iPod Touch, people, not the iTouch

Lately I’ve heard at least four parents talking about their kids and the “iTouch.” Their kids either have an iTouch or want an iTouch.
A what?
Oh, you must mean an iPod Touch, I think.
Yeah, that extra syllable is a real bear.
Parents are always screwing up pop culture references and showing their ignorance about new products that are popular with kids. I’m sure I’ll be in that club soon enough. It’s kind of a joke with middle-aged adults, who refer to “the Twitter” and the like. But I digress.
I did a Google search to see how often people write about the “iTouch.”
To my amazement, there were 24 million search results for iTouch.
Apple, maker of the iPod Touch, and retailers like Target and Amazon.com are wise to the fact that people call the portable media player the iTouch. They’re putting the word iTouch in their meta tags and even buying the term through Google AdWords. (See screenshot here.)
If you can’t beat them, join them.

No comments: