Monday, December 5, 2011

The Pokemon presidential candidate

If knowledge of Pokemon trivia was a requirement for the U.S. presidency, my 8-year-old son would be a shoe-in for the job. When he turns 35, of course.
Former Republican presidential front-runner Herman Cain showed his Pokemon knowledge in a speech Saturday when he announced that he was withdrawing from the race. (See Huffington Post article.)
It’s fitting that Pokemon is derived from the Japanese brand Pocket Monsters, because Cain apparently couldn’t keep his “pocket monster” to himself.
You see what I did there? I made a lame sex joke.
The same day Cain suspended his campaign, I took my son and my nearly 6-year-old daughter to the latest Pokemon movie, “Pokemon the Movie: White – Victini and Zekrom,” at a theater in Centreville, Va. A version of the same movie will air on the Cartoon Network on Sat. Dec. 10 and again on Sun. Dec. 11.
As we watched the movie, I was amazed at how many of the fictional creatures my son could identify. Plus, he helped explain what was going on at times. The plot was pretty convoluted for someone like me who hasn’t seen all the movies (this is the 14th one) or played the video games.
If any other presidential candidates need to get schooled about Pokemon, my son is available to help.

No comments: