The genre includes documentary series, talent competitions, sociology experiments and game shows. With hundreds of reality TV shows having aired, producers are always looking for something fresh.
Here are some recent entrants in the category:
- “Married at First Sight” (FYI) – Expert matchmakers set up couples who agree to marry sight unseen;
- “Neighbors With Benefits” (A&E) – This series follows a bunch of neighbors in suburban Ohio who are into the swinging lifestyle;
- “Sex Box” (WE tv) – Couples have sex in a private cube-shaped room to solve their relationship problems. A panel of sex experts offers advice and counseling before and after coitus.
- “The Sex Factor” – Eight men and eight women compete for a $1 million prize and a three-year porn contract. The judges include adult movie stars Tori Black, Lexi Belle, Remy LaCroix and Keiran Lee.
- “First Dates” – NBC has ordered eight episodes of the show, which follows couples on blind dates. It is executive-produced by comedian/talk show host Ellen DeGeneres.
- “Labor Games” – The TLC show surprises couples in a hospital delivery room with the chance to win prizes for their baby-to-be.
22 Worst Reality TV Shows of All-Time (So Far) (EW; Feb. 26, 2015)
From Dating Naked to Armed & Famous: World’s craziest reality shows (Mirror; Oct. 15, 2014)
27 outrageous reality shows, from ‘A’ to ‘W’ (HLN; July 30, 2014)
The Weirdest, Craziest and Downright Cruelest Reality TV Shows of All Time (ViralNova; Nov. 4, 2014)
The Weirdest Reality TV Shows of All Time (Zap2it)
Highest Rated Reality-TV TV Series, as voted by IMDb users. (IMDb)
Most Popular Reality-TV TV Series (IMDb)