Saturday, May 21, 2016

My favorite TV shows on right now: The 100, iZombie and more

My list of favorite TV shows changes every season due to cancellations and my evolving tastes.
I gravitate to genre shows like science-fiction, fantasy and horror because I want to be surprised. I don’t get that from most police and lawyer shows.
I also prefer dramas to sitcoms. Even when sitcoms are good, I tend to get tired of them after one season. (Most recent example: “The Last Man on Earth.”)
Among the shows I dropped from my viewing list this year are “Fear the Walking Dead” (season one was mediocre; season two is unwatchable), “Lucifer” (I expect the devil to be more formidable than this guy) and “Mr. Robot” (I binge-watched season one on DVD. It was one of the best shows I’ve seen in recent years for the first 7 episodes then turns to complete crap with the big reveal that one key character is imaginary. What a tired plot twist.). I enjoyed season two of “Marvel’s Agent Carter,” but ABC canceled the show.
So with the 2015-16 TV season at its end, here are my favorite TV shows on right now.

The 100

After three seasons, this post-apocalyptic drama continues to excite, surprise and challenge me. “The 100” is brutal and uncompromising, much like HBO’s “Game of Thrones.” I can’t wait for season four on the CW.

iZombie

The most fun show on TV right now, thanks to the brilliant writing and terrific acting, especially by Rose McIver as zombie/medical examiner Liv Moore. Looking forward to season three of “iZombie” on the CW.

Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD

This comic-book action show has gotten better with age. Season three featured the show’s most frightening villain yet in Hive. “Agents of SHIELD” has been renewed for a fourth season on ABC.

Adventure Time

The Cartoon Network’s “Adventure Time” is one of those shows that is written for adults but kids can enjoy on a simpler level. Seven seasons in, this animated adventure show about a human boy and his magical dog in the strange Land of Ooo is super entertaining.

The Walking Dead

AMC’s zombie apocalypse drama “The Walking Dead” just concluded its sixth season. And it was a nail-biter. Season seven will feature the villain Negan from the comic book as the big bad.

This summer I’m looking forward to the return of “The Last Ship” and “The Strain,” both in their third seasons.

No comments: