Sunday, November 19, 2017

Websites and online resources increasingly disappear over time

I’ve written a fair amount about the lack of permanency on the web. It’s a sad fact that in the digital age, information and other data stored on the World Wide Web doesn’t have staying power.
For instance, between August 2009 and March 2015, I spotlighted 250 websites that I found interesting or entertaining. Of those, 40 are no longer available. That’s 16% of the websites I wrote about.
Of the 300 websites to which I’ve called attention over the past nine years, 41 are no longer online. The more time passes, the more likely a website or online resource will disappear.
Every so often, I run a scan on Tech-media-tainment to remove links to websites or articles that no longer work. This weekend, my latest scan discovered about 30 bad links mostly to news articles that were no longer available. It was five months since my last scan using BrokenLinkCheck.com.

No comments: