Tuesday, September 21, 2010

‘The Event’, ‘Hawaii Five-0’, ‘The Walking Dead’ top my fall TV viewing list

After consulting Entertainment Weekly, TV Guide and online sites, I’ve decided to add three new shows to my viewing list this fall. Whether I become a faithful viewer is another issue.
Two of those shows premiered Monday – “The Event” on NBC and “Hawaii Five-0” on CBS. The third – “The Walking Dead” on AMC – doesn’t premiere until Halloween night.
I caught the pilot episode of “The Event” last night and it didn’t grab me. Its jumbled timeline and incessant plot teasing are not the way to attract a devoted following. Supposedly major questions are answered in the second episode of this sci-fi tinged drama. But I’ll give it two more episodes to prove itself. This summer, I gave AMC’s slow-moving conspiracy drama “Rubicon” three episodes before quitting it.
I recorded “Hawaii Five-0” to my DVR, but haven’t watched it yet. From what I’ve read, I’m not sure they’ve taken this remake in the right direction. But we’ll see. The original, starring Jack Lord, was dark, violent and ominous. The new one seems more like a buddy cop show with humor and action. Plus, they’re going to focus on each character’s backstory. I wish TV writers would focus more on the front story.
The most exciting new show for me has got to be the zombie-apocalypse survivor drama “The Walking Dead.” It’s got a great pedigree in director Frank Darabont (“The Shawshank Redemption”) and executive producer Gale Anne Hurd (“The Terminator” and “Aliens”).
The preview footage looks terrific. I’m psyched for the Oct. 31 premiere. Season one of “The Walking Dead” will include six one-hour episodes.
I have a soft spot for the sci-fi, horror and fantasy genres. I like shows that go beyond the usual police procedural, courtroom drama or family sitcom. I like to be challenged, surprised and entertained.
Among returning shows, only the CW’s “The Vampire Diaries” and “Supernatural” are on my must-see list.

No comments: