Saturday, September 18, 2010

More movies turning up on Netflix streaming that aren't available on DVD

Lately I’ve noticed a number of movies in my Netflix queue that are available for online streaming, but not on DVD.
Could this be the shape of things to come?
As DVD sales decline, movie studios likely are becoming more selective about which movies they put out on physical discs. Those with a more limited audience are candidates for online streaming only.
The above screenshot shows five movies in my queue that are available on Netflix Watch Instantly, but not on DVD. Three are older movies – “The Heartbreak Kid” (1972), “The Swimmer” (1968) and “Medium Cool” (1969). The other two are foreign films – “The Chaser” (2008) from South Korea and “The Last Mistress” (2007) from France.
I can see the shift to digital-only distribution happening in my Netflix movie queue.

No comments: