Saturday, May 28, 2011

Remembering Cary Grant


Jennifer Grant, daughter of actor Cary Grant and actress Dyan Cannon, recently published a book about her father and growing up with the Hollywood elite. The book is titled "Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant."
As a movie buff, I am a fan of Grant's work, especially his films with Alfred Hitchcock and his screwball comedies.
I had a ticket to see him discuss his career at an event in Davenport, Iowa, on Nov. 29, 1986, the night he died. At the time, I was working as a newspaper reporter in the Quad-Cities, a metropolitan region on the Mississippi River between Iowa and Illinois.
I went to the Adler Theater with some friends from the paper and we were informed that the show had been cancelled because Grant had taken ill. Disappointed, we went to a bar and got hammered.
The next day was a Sunday, a day off, but I was called in to work because Grant had died. A team of us worked to trace his final hours in our region.
I got a refund for my ticket ($25), but someone posted a photo of their tickets on the Internet.
I recently scanned our coverage of Grant's death in the Daily Dispatch of Moline, Ill., and sister paper the Rock Island Argus. You can see them on Twitpic here, here and here.


Articles:

Cary Grant's Daughter Pens Memoir of Her Legendary Father (People; April 26, 2011)

Cary Grant: Debonair dad (CBS News; May 1, 2011)

Cary Grant Dies (Quad-City Times via Carygrant.net)

Cary Grant's Death (Alan Light via Carygrant.net)

No comments: