Monday, July 25, 2011

Ripping off content is commonplace online

On Friday I posted an article about the start of the Lingerie Basketball League in Los Angeles. On Sunday, less than 48 hours later, another blog ran the article word for word and claimed authorship of it.
I posted a comment on that blog, The Sport Tirings Stuff, pointing out that the article was plagiarized from Tech-media-tainment. But I doubt I’ll hear back.
This isn’t the first time content from Tech-media-tainment has been lifted whole cloth and published without attribution elsewhere. Judging from what I’ve seen, it seems to be a pretty common activity online.
It’s ethically wrong.
All I’m asking for is some respect. I don’t mind bloggers reprinting my articles or artwork, as long as they give me credit and provide a link back to my website. I’d also appreciate it if bloggers didn’t take my entire article. They should leave something for readers who are interested in checking out more at the source website.
I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Photo: Screenshot of the Tech-media-tainment article on The Sport Tirings Stuff blog.

No comments: