Tuesday, January 28, 2014

About.me: Great site for consolidating your online presence

People today leave a lot of footprints online through their various social networks and creative websites.
About.me is a free service that consolidates your online presence. It’s a place where you can put links to all the websites that define you: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, Blogger, Flickr, etc.
Each person gets an individual page to list their background and their websites in as much detail as they’d like. They can top it off with a full-screen hero image of themselves to create a super attractive personal page.
But About.me has one other big plus: the ability to contact any member directly. It doesn’t display member email addresses, but has an app that forwards messages to the recipient’s email box.
This is a great function that I’ve already used successfully. It may not be that important to most people, but to journalists like me it’s a great tool. We’re often trying to contact strangers to get or exchange information.
Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and other services have ways for people to contact someone they don’t yet know. But none of their solutions are as simple and elegant as About.me.

Photo: Sample About.me profile page highlighting some features.

No comments: